Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Murder & Mayhem in Muskego: The Interview!

O.k. so you all know that this past weekend I had the incredible opportunity to interview Robert Crais. I videotaped the first part of the interview (sorry, but my camera batteries bit the dust mid-way through). I loaded it on to my computer and then the video seemed to have vanished. I was seriously questioning whether I actually DID interview him or it had just been a vivid dream.

Turns out I did indeed interview my hero--the man responsible for my love of crime fiction. I would like to say that it turned out completely gloriously, but I can't exactly say that. I was very nervous at first so I didn't deliver the Ezra Pound stuff near as elegantly as I'd hoped, but once we got going, I felt far fewer butterflies and RC never had to whack me on the back of the head to undo any tied tongues.

You'll notice my utter lack of gracefulness in that chair I'm sitting...sort of sitting...in. RC had the good sense to swap his chair for one of the green ones with a back, which I should have done. I'm just thankful I didn't try to tackle that chair in a dress! And all the times it appears as though I'm sliding out of the chair...I am! That chair was not made for people with plentiful back ends. Anyhow...

Since the interview did cut off before the end, there is one part I really wanted you to know about that missed the video, and that is RC's response to my question:

You’ve written for television, with SUSPECT you’ll have published 19 novels, had a novel adapted for the big screen, hit #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list, won numerous awards for your books, what goals do you have for your career at this point?

His response was (paraphrased): "hey, all those things are great and I'm not going to say I don't like them, but my goal has always been and continues to be--write better." I think that says a tremendous amount about him.

This was a spectacular experience--I'm still a little drunk on the thrill of it--and I'm so grateful to have had this opportunity. I'll have more to share with you on the rest of Murder and Mayhem in Muskego, but for now, here is THE interview:


8 comments:

Naomi Johnson November 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM  

I think youtube is having a problem just now. I can't watch video on your blog or at youtube. I'll check back later.

Einoti November 13, 2012 at 8:25 PM  

Ditto, Naomi!

Jen Forbus November 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM  

Sorry guys. I'm not getting the same problem, but I am presently uploading the original file to the Facebook page, so maybe we'll have better luck there. The problems may be because it's a longer video. This is the first time I tried posting something YouTube that was longer than 15 minutes.

Anonymous November 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
le0pard13 November 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM  

Great interview, Jen. Loved it. BTW, it worked for me just fine this evening.

Naomi Johnson November 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM  

Finally! I had huge problems with Youtube, Firefox, and Flash. I'm still not sure why it's working at last, but I tried everything recommended online and none of it quite worked for me -- and yet it is now working!

Naomi Johnson November 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM  

Great interview, Jen. Thank you so much for not asking the usual questions we've all heard before!

Melissa Yuan-Innes June 24, 2014 at 3:31 PM  

Wow. This might have been the best mystery interview I've ever seen/heard. Interesting questions and a dynamic speaker. I'm going to get a hold of Suspect. Thanks!

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP